Teraterm bug: Some characters make main output works bad.
I have a card and I use your software for serial communication. The card run first in 38400bps and after start it changes to 9600bps. I usually configure it to 9600 and expect that the card changes it speed to 9600 and then work with it. The problem is that first it is received some unredable characters (due to diference speed) and then it changes to 9600 but the messages can not be read well... It seem that lowercase characters are not printed well, in the log all characters can be seen well.
If after the change of speed I close and open the teraterm again there is no problem.
I would like to send you a file where you can see the effect.
Try to paste here but maybe it is not going to work. Send me a mail where I cand send you sample file.
//Start of file
corregido valor celda 0ÆBnÂ„B„
H„Ã7w7¸FnÂÃÃBïBP„7+ÚÂÃÓ77x ÃH„¹i„Æ€}÷8Û[Ä±ùbÆJß@‘Ï¯ [öFD½ÂzNÛóÿFB[ígBâµjB„P„ „<ýFBP„€beÒ[fBiÂRýFBBBBBBZO„!BBBÚÆ¥eBBBBBJÂRýFBBBBBBZSOÿFBZcBCBJëI‰SBâ3’^ §’!Ê¥+NoNÿFBêÖÏcúcòFBêÖêCrçÈÿFB†!oˆjjJ„ „iÄ!”‘BBÂÛCjCbÃjßZcö"P†„¡æ”*í!kÎk§€ëÒÞËJãÄjÞTççJïŒc¨5P„ „¡ÆJïŒcó5Ä”¯i„9ÖoËÆ‹ccÿÊ†Ú‚!oËÆ‹ccÿÊ†ÚÂ!oËÆ‹ccÿÊ†ÚÂ!oËÆ‹ccÿÊ†Ú‚!oÄJ‚!gÿÞ[„!ÂÆJïŒcó5¿OízCÂÆJïŒsó5¿Oíz„¡ÆJïŒcó5¿OízCÂÆJïŒcó5¿OízBëJïŒcó5¿OízCÂÆJïŒcó5¿OízBëJïŒcó5¿OízCÂÆJïŒgó5kFN[BòVÆ‹ccÿZËzZBBÆ„!êD BBBòöJïŒcó5ê[‹„öJïÌcó5½„nåÂÆJïŒcó‚!BBBòöJ
//END of file
Finally I could send atachment.
Thank you for your fantastic software.
Some ways to recover from the hang
1) Go to setup>General Setup and press OK the terminal recovers. (Something seems to be reseted)
2) If I press "reset terminal" it recovers to0... But maybe you should correct that if you reset the terminal I think the screen must be cleaned... After pressing reset. It start from the first uper line but over the messages that were written before... so it is a mess.
Thank you for your feedback.
Some characters are often corrupted on serial device because escape sequences
are lost for serial device's problem. So, this behavior is not caused for Tera Term's bug.
When this behavior is happened, please reset terminal.
1. PLEASE RECONSIDER this decision to not fix this issue. I have spent a lot of time with ESP8266 running MicroPython and TeraTerm made it appear that I had some sort of serial corruption. An unavoidable quirk of the ESP8266 is that it outputs garbage during reset (running its internal Boot ROM code) at a strange baud rate (74880 bps), resulting in garbage characters being received (at 115200 bps). The garbage characters include escape sequences that cause Teraterm to give what appears to be corrupted text for regular text (after the boot time garbage characters are finished).
There REALLY needs to be an Option to disable code/character page changes and certain ESC commands for VT100, so the boot time garbage does not affect TeraTerm.
This boot time garbage will occur with ANY ESP8266 code including compiled code (including Arduino, Micropython, NodeMCU etc) and will occur whenever the ESP8266 is reset.
For Serial communication with ESP8266 this issue with TeraTerm is annoying. Many people will attempt to use TeraTerm and will be puzzled why they are getting corrupted characters.
(This link is not for ESP8266 but the problem appears to be the same)
2. An option for "Clear screen on Terminal Reset" would be useful as well as a keyboard shortcut for "Control/Reset terminal"
Thanks for considering these changes and for the hard work you have put into TeraTerm.
More on the ESP8266 issue:
Here is an hex ASCII dump of the boot ROM output garbage characters that occur before normal text starts. Each char is represented as 2 ASCII Hex bytes:
I cannot find ESC character (Hex 1B) in the above dump.
I believe VT100 emulation requires this character to alter terminal operation, but since none were found I don't know what is causing TeraTera to change the display of normal text.
Does anyone have any idea what TeraTerm is doing when it receives the above data?
Unfortunately I still have the same problem with ESP8266: after power up the module, sometimes it could happen that Tera Term shows the text with cyrllic characters instead of latin char.
Problem seems not yet solved until now or is there any work around, that ESP8266 can send an escape command to force teraterm set latin character output again.
Thank you and best regards
I have the same problem, and I have seen it occur with other transmissions too. Why won't you fix your buggy code, or at least have a switch option to ignore control characters. Seems a bit rude to say won't without an exponentiation.
Serial port communication does not have speed adjustment. Client must set to correct baud rate which requires remote hardware.
"Baud rate is changed when boot up complete" is the hardware specification.
Satisfying both seems to difficult.