[cocomonar-dev] tion predicted by the collector flamed ou

Back to archive index

Uresti Papetti woos****@ds-ne*****
2010年 9月 11日 (土) 22:17:03 JST

Ecame a silent interrogation point. "Landed," exclaimed White,
with his boyish face flushed with elation. "Billy, you are a wonder. He
wants a picture. I'll tell you all about it. By Heavens! that dictator
chap is a corker! He's a dictator clear down to his finger-ends. He's a
kind of combination of Julius Caesar, Lucifer and Chauncey Depew done
in sepia. Polite and grim--that's his way. The room I saw him in was
about ten acres big, and looked like
a Mississippi
steamboat with its gilding and mirrors
and white paint. He talks English better than I can ever hope to. The
matter of the price came up.
I mentioned ten thousand. I expected him to call the guard and have me
taken out and
shot. He didn't move an eyelash. He just waved one of his chestnut
hands
in a careless way, and said, 'Whatever you say.' I am to go back
to-morrow
and discuss with him the details of the picture."
Keogh hung his head. Self-abasement was easy to read in his downcast
countenance. "I'm failing, Carry," he said, sorrowfully. "I'm not fit
to handle these man's-size schemes any longer. Peddling oranges in a
push-cart is about the suitable graft for
me. When I said ten thousand, I swear I
thought I had sized up that brown man's limit to within two cents. He'd
have melted down for fifteen thousand just as easy. Say--Carry--you'll
see old man Keogh safe in some nice, quiet idiot asylum, won't you, if
he makes

a break like that again?" The Casa Morena, although only one story in
height, was