R once, and have one," he said. I accepted. "Do

Woollard Allen muscu****@trhod*****
2009年 8月 23日 (日) 19:22:54 JST

Anger, could not account for the lack of it. Miss Thorn was seated in
the corner; in spite of the darkness I could see that she was laughing
at us still. "I feel very badly that I should have taken you away from
the dance," we heard her say. "We don't dance," I answered clumsily,
"and we were glad to come." "Yes, we were glad to come," Farrar chimed
in. Then we relapsed into a discomfited silence, and wished we were
anywhere else. But Miss Thorn relieved the situation by laughing aloud,
and with such a hearty enjoyment that instead of getting angry and more
mortified we began to laugh ourselves, and instantly felt better. After
that we got along famously. She had at once the air of good fellowship
and the dignity of a woman, and she seemed to understand Farrar and me
perfectly. Not once did she take us over our heads, though she might
have done so with ease, and we knew this and were thankful. We began to
tell her about Mohair and the cotillon, and of our point of observation
from the Florentine galleried porch, and she insisted she would join us
there. By the time we reached the house we were thanking our stars she
had come. Mrs. Cooke came out under the port-cochere to welcome h