[macemacsjp-english 178] launching emacs from a symbolic link

Back to archive index

Nadeem Faruque nadee****@gmail*****
Tue Sep 6 08:52:33 JST 2005

For a complicated reason I need to be able to run emacs from a a
symbolic link at ~/emacs.

This was working and I am unsure what has changed since I last used
it (perhaps a recent security update?).

The problem was present on the June release of Carbon Emacs Package,
and isn't better with the August one.

The installation works fine whether opened by clicking the icon, or
from the Terminal:
 > /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
works fine and launches emacs in a separate window.

But when I try to use the symbolic link I run into problems.
 > ln -s /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs ~/emacs
appears to be fine, but when I try to use it I run into trouble:

 > ~/emacs
emacs opens in -nw mode (i.e. in the Terminal window) with the Messages

Warning: arch-dependent data dir (/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/
Resources/libexec/emacs/22.0.50/powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0/) does not
exist.
(/Users/faruque/emacs)
byte-code: Finder got an error: Can't continue .

NB The June release of Carbon Emacs Package was behaving the same,
but actually tried to open the separate emacs window and then it sat
there half-drawn.

NB2 I've tried
 > ln /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs ~/emacs
 > ln -h /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs ~/emacs
 > ln -s /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacs ~/emacs
etc but without any change

Any ideas of what to try?

Nadeem

--