[macemacsjp-english 246] Re: macemacsjp-english Digest, Vol 7, Issue 27

Back to archive index

Seiji Zenitani zenit****@tkg*****
Wed Sep 28 22:59:41 JST 2005

On 2005/09/28, at 21:39, Viktor Haag wrote:

> On 27/09/05, David Poole wrote:
>
>> I just downloaded the latest (today's) version of emacs, replacing
>> one
>> from May 18, and I made no changes except to remove the japanese
>> localization. However ispell does not work in the new version. It
>> worked
>> in the previous version, and I did not do anything special in
>> either case.
>>
>> When I choose the menu item "tools" -> "spell checking" -> "spell-
>> check
>> buffer", I get the error message
>> "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can give.
>> David
>
> This may not be caused by the new build. Ispell is working fine on my
> machine, both from the menu, and when invoked directly from the
> minibuffer.
>
> The first thing I do when I install a new version is to remove
> /Applications/Emacs/Contents/Resources/site-lisp, as I prefer my own
> mix of startup libraries; maybe that has something to do with the
> problem (i.e., there's something in the provided site-lisp packages
> that's causing the problem)?

The built-in aspell and previous built-in auctex need extra config
files in the site-lisp directory, in order that you can install
Emacs.app wherever you like. (relocatable)

In this case of the aspell trouble, the aspell does not recognize the
extra configuration because of the bug in ispell.el. If you use an
external aspell/ispell, you won't meet such troubles.

In general, site-lisp files can be removed unless you use the built-
in unix programs (aspell and mew).

-- Seiji