[macemacsjp-english 200] Re: Carbon Emacs on non-commercial CD or DVD

Back to archive index

Seiji Zenitani zenit****@tkg*****
Tue Sep 13 22:11:07 JST 2005

Hi,

On 2005/09/12, at 2:09, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 11.09.2005 um 12:36 schrieb Seiji Zenitani:
>> By default, Carbon Emacs Package uses its built-in aspell
>> (Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/aspell) for M-x ispell. All setting for
>> this aspell is written in site-start.d/carbon-emacs-builtin-
>> aspell.el.
>> Since this file may interfere with your own configuration, remove the
>> file first if you would like to use your own configuration.
>
> Removing the line
>
>     (setq ispell-program-name "/sw/bin/ispell")
>
> from my .emacs makes things lighter since now aspell starts without
> complaints. But: due to the default settings for aspell it's useless
> because aspell can't spell words with umlauts.

You need ispell instead of aspell, is this right? You mean aspell
does not recognize words with umlauts?

> Renaming carbon-emacs-builtin-aspell.el does not allow me to use an
> ispell dictionary -- except it is placed into
> /usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60/ ...

Strange. What brought you "lib/aspell-0.60/"?

>> According to the previous post to this list, Fink's ispell (or
>> aspell)
>> does not work fine. Perhaps it's related to the fink-specific
>> environment variables such as PATH, LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> Fink's ispell works fine in every other of my Carbon or X11 or
> nowindows Emacsen. including Aquamacs Emacs. So ispell can't be the
> culprit.

Examine the below elisp variables and the PATH environment variables.
ispell-program-name
ispell-extra-args
exec-path
(getenv "PATH") ;; the "PATH" environment variables

I think X11- and nowindow Emacsen inherits the environment variables
from the shell. Aquamacs possibly provides additional support for fink.

>>> The very first time I hit a menu an error occurs:
>>>
>>>     Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable mac-key-mode)
>>>
>> What version of Carbon Emacs Package are you using? Have you removed
>> some files in site-lisp directory?
>
> I think it's the latest release: GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1
> (powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0) of 2005-08-06 on trio.local.

The latest Panther version autoloads mac-key-mode.el, which is
located in site-lisp/mac directory. Check if the file is present or not.

On 2005/09/12, at 8:10, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> C-u C-x = explains about the de-composed Ǔ (LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U
> WITH CARON, U+01D3):
>
>   character: ̌ (01211314, 332492, 0x512cc, U+030C)
>     charset: [mule-unicode-0100-24ff] (Unicode characters of the
> range U+0100..U+24FF.)
>  code point: [37 76]
>      syntax: w     which means: word
>    category: ^:Combining diacritic or mark   u:Mule unicode characters
> buffer code: 0x9C 0xF4 0xA5 0xCC
>   file code: 0xCC 0x8C (encoded by coding system mule-utf-8-unix)
>     display: no font available
>
> /System/Library/Fonts/Courier.dfont has this glyph -- I think
> that's the font that is referred as      "-apple-courier-medium-r-
> normal--14-140-75-75-m-140-mac-roman (0xF3)" when I examine Û (and
> it also contains the ready to use Ǔ).

At present, since proper font is not assigned to the "U with caron"
character (U+01D3). When assigned, I'm ready to convert two
characters ("U" and "caron") into U+01D3.

Sincerely,

-- Seiji